Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Zombies and why we love em

ZOMBIES ARE EVERYWHERE! On television, Shirts, Video games, movies, they have taken our once peaceful world by storm. Part of me loves it, being an avid zombie movie buff (Night of the living dead still unbeatable), but the other part of me hates watching my loved sub culture turn into well... mainstream. Where the zombie craze exploded, i cant pin point it exactly. Where my love came... I remember that perfectly.

I remember catching Night of the living dead on Halloween night as a child. Not knowing the exact nature of what I was looking at, I laughed at the chap who teased his sister ('BAARRBRA', still ringing in my ear making me smile right now), then as the music changed and some haggard looking man in the dress suit came at the siblings, killed one of them and and bashed out there car window with a rock... I shit just got real. Well after the movie ended and credits rolled, my mind kept on churning. The 'what if' question of a haunting scenario was well in my young mind back then, and many more diverse groups today.

That is probably the most frightening and alluring aspect of the idea of the zombie apocalypse, the 'what if' factor. Flesh eating zombies may be a work of fiction, but survival is not. What heightens this factor is that zombies can be anybody. There is no human (or for some fictions, animal) who are immune to the decease, your grandma, pappy, son, wife, all susceptible to turning into a flesh eating killing machine with as little as a scratch from the undead creature. Are you willing to kill your wife (for some of us yes, but i digress)? There are no simple answers, or simple solutions to the proverbial all-out zombie Apocalypse. That's why many of us love it. It doesn't help that Hollywood has an all-out fetish of the end of the world.

Speaking of the end of the world, yes, the zombie Apocalypse is unlikely, but a plague wiping out most of humanity is, and it in fact has happened before, so maybe its this play on our inherent fears, the scenarios, and the flat out bone chilling fear of the walking dead that make them so damn appealing. I do know one thing, that the zombie craze is at a fever pitch and its not dying out any time soon. (so many puns in this paragraph I amaze myself sometimes)

No comments:

Post a Comment